Facts at a Glance
- Founded in 1863, HSS is America's longest-established orthopedic hospital and tertiary care academic medical center.
- HSS is ranked No. 1 in the country for orthopedics by U.S.News & World Report Best Hospitals 2016-17 rankings and No. 2 in rheumatology in association with NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. HSS has been among the top-ranked institutions in orthopedics and rheumatology for 25 consecutive years.
- HSS is the first hospital in New York State to receive Magnet Recognition for Nursing Excellence by the American Nurses Credentialing Center three consecutive times.
- HSS is the Official Hospital for 20 elite and professional sports organization and four colleges, and cares for community and neighborhood organizations.
- The National Institutes of Health (NIH) currently supports HSS with $44.64 million in funding for 52 research studies.
- HSS has achieved the 99th percentile rank for "likelihood to recommend" for 28 consecutive quarters (7 years) when benchmarked against the high-performing Magnet peer group.
- According to the New York Department of Health, HSS is the only hospital with a statistically significant lower surgical site infection rate for hip replacement, compared to the New York State average, for six consecutive years.
- HSS is recognized as the Official Hospital of USA Basketball and designated as the first National Medical Center of the United States Olympic Committee's National Medical Network. In this capacity, HSS is an official hospital for U.S. athletes.
- The HSS residency program is ranked No. 1 by the comprehensive national evaluation of residency programs created by Doximity, the physician network.
Global Reach and Access
- HSS has outpatient care centers in Long lsland, Queens, New Jersey, and Connecticut, an integrative care office in midtown Manhattan, and outpatient rehabilitative care offices in Florida.
- HSS eAcademy, the digital education platform for professionals supporting nearly 6,000 members, has grown its international presence, indicated by exchanges with 104 different countries.
- In 2014, the HSS International Center assisted approximately 1,000 patients from over 80 countries.
- HSS eConsult enables access to a medical opinion from an HSS expert without travelling to one of Hospital for Special Surgery’s locations.
- The Hospital’s “Back in the Game” online forum is the largest of its kind, with more than 1,000 orthopedic and rheumatologic patient stories from all over the world.
- The HSS website (www.hss.edu) received a record 4.7 million unique visitors in 2014.
HSS by the Numbers
- 215 beds
- 327 active medical staff
- 100 scientists
- 71 fellows
- 44 residents
- 4,014 full time equivalent employees (includes physicians and their staff)
- 36 operating rooms
- 29,313 surgeries
- 347,798 outpatient visits to rheumatologists, physiatrists, orthopedic surgeons, and other specialties
- $918 million hospital operating expense budget excluding research
- $34 million research operations expense budget
- $167 million HSS endowment