Facts at a Glance
- America's longest-established orthopedic hospital (est. 1863) and the world's largest academic medical center dedicated exclusively to orthopedics, rheumatology, and related specialties.
- Ranked No. 1 in the country for orthopedics and No. 2 in rheumatology in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals 2016-17 rankings. HSS has been top-ranked in orthopedics and rheumatology for 25 consecutive years.
- The first hospital in New York State to receive Magnet Recognition for Excellence in Nursing Service from the American Nurses Credentialing Center four consecutive times.
- The recipient of Healthgrades Orthopedic Surgery Excellence Award, Joint Replacement Excellence Award, and Spine Surgery Excellence Award for two years in a row (2015-2016)
- The official hospital of more than 20 professional sports and collegiate organizations including the New York Mets, New York Giants, New York Knicks, New York Liberty, New York Red Bulls, and Brooklyn Nets.
- The first National Medical Center of the United States Olympic Committee's National Medical Network, treating Team USA athletes.
- The only hospital in New York State with a statistically significant lower surgical site infection rate for hip replacement, compared to the state average. It has maintained this status for seven consecutive years.
- In the 99th percentile rank for "likelihood to recommend" for 32 consecutive quarters (eight years) when benchmarked against the high-performing Magnet peer group.
- Ranked No. 1 in both reputation and research output by the professional healthcare network Doximity for its Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program.
Global Reach and Access
- In 2015, the HSS International Center assisted approximately 1,000 patients from over 75 countries.
- HSS eAcademy, the digital education platform for professionals, has grown its presence to 11,000 members worldwide, with international engagement from 136 countries.
- The HSS website (hss.edu) received a record 5.2 million unique visitors in 2015.
- Within the first six months of its launch, nearly 25,000 patients activated secure online medical accounts on MyHSS.
- The Hospital’s Back in the Game online forum is the largest of its kind, with more than 1,400 orthopedic and rheumatologic patient stories from all over the world.
- HSS eConsult enables access to a medical opinion from an HSS expert without traveling to one of Hospital for Special Surgery’s locations.
- HSS has outpatient, integrative, and rehabilitative care offices in Midtown Manhattan, Long lsland, Queens, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Florida. HSS Sports Rehab at Chelsea Piers in Stamford, CT is provided in collaboration with Stamford Health.
HSS by the Numbers
- 215 beds
- 333 active medical staff
- 102 scientists
- 71 fellows
- 46 residents
- 4,175 full time equivalent employees (includes physicians and their staff)
- 36 operating rooms
- 30,785 surgeries (2015)
- 364,240 outpatient visits to rheumatologists, physiatrists, orthopedic surgeons, and other specialists (2015)
- $989 million hospital operating expense budget excluding research
- $41 million research operations expense budget
- $174 million HSS endowment