To comply with HSS policies, volunteers must complete the following steps before they begin to volunteer at HSS:
Should we determine that you may be a good fit for a particular volunteer program, we will reach out to you for an initial interview.
If the initial interview is successful, we will contact your references. If we get a favorable response we will then forward your resume and cover letter to the applicable site supervisor for a second interview.
If the second interview is positive, you will be asked to complete an application and participate in an online orientation session.
Once you have completed the online orientation session, you will need to schedule an over the phone appointment with a member of the Volunteer Department staff to discuss medical clearance options.
Please note, on average our process takes about 3-4 weeks to complete.
From Fall through Spring volunteers are required to donate at least 150 total hours over a 6 month period with a minimum of 4-5 hours per week.
During the summer months volunteers are required to donate at least 100 hours within a 10 week period with a minimum of 10-12 hours per week.
Volunteers must be 15 years of age or older.
Current opportunities for volunteering:
- Ambassador Services: Volunteers are given the opportunity to enhance their administrative background by supporting the prominent Ambassador Services team. Volunteers should possess the attributes of one who is detail oriented, personable and able to provide extensive clerical and long term project maintenance.
- Ambulatory Care Center: Formally welcome and log in and escort all patients and visitors, provide directions and updates regarding wait times and the progress of the patient’s journey. Volunteers work closely with registrars, nurses and doctors’ office staff.
- Caspary/Hip Center Clerical Support: Volunteers help staff ensure the highest level of service and expedite patient care by assisting with forms and escorting patients. Responsibilities include greeting and assisting patients, assisting with the discharge of patients, and transporting paperwork between the nursing station and physician offices. Ideally, volunteers would be available on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday every week.
- Coffee Cart & Amenities: Volunteers offer afternoon coffee, tea, and cookies to our in-patients and family members. The volunteer should be adept at chatting with patients and visitors as they serve the beverages and cookies.
- Happy Wheels: Volunteers offer coffee, tea, juice, snacks and games for our pediatric patients and their families on our pediatric in-patient floor and in pediatric rehabilitation. Seeking volunteers who will make a long term commitment and are used to interacting with children who are ill. This is a joint program between HSS and Ronald McDonald House. This program runs weekdays from 2:30PM-5:30PM ONLY!
- Holding Surgical Reception Area: Volunteers provide a critical link among patients, families, and staff, problem-solving as necessary. The primary role of the Holding Volunteers is to make friendly visits and provide assistance to patients as well as their family members and friends. Volunteers support the Patient Liaisons and Nursing staff by making rounds in Holding and the Surgical Reception Area, offering assistance and empathy.
- Language Services Tech: The volunteer will assist the department with multiple tasks related to off-site interpreting technology. Some of these responsibilities will include making rounds and locating the equipment throughout the hospital, maintenance of system as well as assist the Senior Director and Coordinator with keeping records of the satisfaction survey results.
- Neurology Infusion Therapy: Volunteers greet and assist patients at Check-In. They also serve refreshments, run errands to pharmacy, handle medical records, wipe down equipment and assist in answering phones.
- Patient Access (Admitting) Clerical Support: Volunteers assist in the registration of Inpatient, Ambulatory Surgery, Pre Surgical Screening, and Special Procedures Departments, as well as file patient surgical and anesthesia consents. Volunteers work closely with patient access staff to ensure proper handling of charts and reconciliation of OR schedule.
- Patient Information Internship Program: The interns are expected to provide a warm welcome and when applicable escort and direct patients and visitors at HSS entrance to the right locations on HSS campus. Identify, resolve, or report patient issues to appropriate personnel for prompt and effective resolution. Conduct rounds as needed to ensure patients and visitors in the main lobby are receiving the highest level of service.
- Patient Navigation – Belaire 2: Volunteers are located on the second floor of Belaire 2 directly outside the offices of our world-renowned physicians. This is one of the most highly trafficked areas of the hospital. Volunteers welcome and facilitate directions for navigating the hospital for patients and visitors. On occasion, these volunteers escort patients and visitors as needed.
- Physician Practice Management Support (PPMS): Volunteers support the department by helping our patients navigate across the Hospital campus by giving directions and escorting patients as needed. In addition, volunteers assist patients with intake forms, making copies of medical records and insurance information.
Physician offices needing PPMS volunteers include:
- Belaire 2
- Caspary Hip Center
- East River Professional Bldg, 4th floor
- Surgical Liaison Programs: The liaisons are responsible for welcoming and orienting arriving patients and families. They provide updates about the patient’s surgical journey or procedure, escort families to see loved ones in PACU/Recovery, circulate to ensure families’ questions and needs are met, and work closely with medical and waiting area staff to ease the hospital experience for patients and families. Openings are available in:
- Ambulatory Surgery
- 4th Floor Family Atrium
- Special Procedures Unit
- Hand & Foot Center
NOTE: Due to the number of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to everyone. We will respond to applicants whom we determine to be good matches for programs which have openings. Please be aware that volunteering with us does not guarantee employment.
For more information, email email@example.com or call 212.606.1228.