Physician Office Visits and Surgery Consultations
Whether it is a first-time injury or a chronic condition, HSS expert physicians and surgeons employ the most advanced techniques to establish a precise diagnosis and treatment plan. Noninvasive care such as casting, bracing, and physical therapy, as well as minimally invasive treatments are available for your recovery.
Radiology and Imaging: X-ray and MRI
You do not need to be an HSS patient to get imaging at HSS Stamford. Many doctors from other practices refer their patients to HSS for imaging because our unparalleled technologies and expertise ensure accurate diagnoses. In many cases, our high-resolution MRI makes exploratory arthroscopic surgery unnecessary.
Video: State-of-the-art radiology at HSS
- All HSS MRIs use high-spatial resolution and thin-slice imaging. These state-of-the-art techniques, which are not always available at other healthcare providers, help HSS doctors make a definitive diagnosis for any orthopedic condition, with special attention paid to the health of the cartilage, labrum and other soft tissues.
- MRI exams are reviewed and interpreted by specially trained HSS radiologists. Radiologists are doctors who specialize in diagnosing conditions by analyzing radiographic images. All HSS radiologists receive additional training specific to diagnosing injuries and conditions of the bones, joints, muscles, ligaments and other musculoskeletal tissues. Because of this focused expertise, HSS radiologists are frequently consulted by other doctors from around the world.
- Our high-resolution MRI exams do not require invasive intra-articular gadolinium contrast.
- Traditional MRIs can be distorted by the natural magnetism present in some metallic medical implants. To address this, in patients who already have a joint replacement or other prosthesis, HSS uses a specialized scanning platform called MAVRIC (multi-acquisition variable-resonance image combination) to obtain an accurate reading.
- HSS has devised modified MRI pulse sequences to detect cartilage damage in its early stages. This means that you may benefit from early intervention that could postpone or eliminate the need for surgery.
- HSS radiologists can diagnose a variety of musculoskeletal conditions, including tendon tears, using dynamic ultrasound techniques.
Our Special Procedures Unit (SPU) offers outpatient access to several types of therapeutic injections. Having such procedures in this ambulatory setting is quicker and more convenient than scheduling an inpatient procedure in the operating room. Injection treatments performed onsite include:
Many injections are ultrasound-guided to pinpoint specific areas of the body to treat conditions such as:
All ultrasound-guided injections are performed by radiologists with specialty training in musculoskeletal ultrasound.
Postsurgical Care and Follow-up Visits
Attending scheduled follow-up care after your orthopedic surgery is integral to getting back on your feet. Many of our surgeons hold office hours at HSS Stamford so that patients can spend less time traveling and more time recovering close to home.
Rehabilitation and Sports Performance
Located onsite, next to our physician offices, HSS Sports Rehab at Chelsea Piers Stamford offers a wide range of physical and occupational therapy services for adults and children. Services are also available in our convenient New Canaan and Greenwich sports rehabilitation locations, enabling you to seek treatment sooner, get better faster, and experience superior outcomes.
Our expert physicians and specialists present regular educational seminars on topics ranging from improving physical performance and cardiovascular health to preventing painful injuries and developing arthritis.
See upcoming programs