Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement Service
We designed the first modern knee replacement and have led the field ever since.
Over four decades ago, physicians at HSS pioneered the first artificial human knee replacement – just one milestone in more than 150 years of specialized care. Today, surgeons in the Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement (ARJR) Division continue to lead the field in both innovation and in the number of hip and knee replacement surgeries performed each year.
Our physicians are constantly developing new surgical techniques, using smaller instruments and smaller implants, to facilitate hip and knee replacements. These procedures are opening doors for our patients – to get them pain-free and back to doing what they love to do.
Knowledge gained through depth of experience:
- Our orthopedic surgeons perform over 9,000 hip and knee replacements – more than any other hospital in the U.S.
- Our unmatched experience enables our surgeons to treat some complex conditions and we lead the field in safety with one of the lowest infection rates. Our patients heal and recover faster with fewer post-operative complications.
- U.S.News & World Report has ranked us as the number one hospital in orthopedics for several years in a row. These rankings are based on several factors including evaluation by peer physicians.
- We are an academic medical center committed to training future generations of orthopedic surgeons. Our patients benefit from our experience treating the most complex cases, the latest treatment options and state-of-the-art technologies, and a team of clinicians who are the best and brightest in their areas of expertise.
- Learn more about our superior outcomes.
Calling us is the first step. Request an appointment.
Back in the Game Patient Stories:
Our patients seek our care from near and far. Learn more about the HSS Coast to Coast Program for traveling patients.