The Leon Root, MD Motion Analysis Laboratory is a 93' x 27' space with state-of-the-art design and measurement capabilities. Our laboratory can be rapidly reconfigured to fit the needs of each individual patient, from a young child with cerebral palsy to an athlete with sports-specific concerns.
What is Motion Analysis?
Motion analysis is a technique which allows clinicians to quantify human movement patterns. It combines an examination of an individual’s physical structure with measurements of their function during activity.
Our clinical testing typically quantifies an individual’s ability to walk. However, since changes in movement patterns are seen during other activities, such as throwing, running, and jumping, research projects are underway to examine these advanced skills. Current and past studies assessed motions during pitching, football throwing, golf club swinging, running, kicking, dart throwing, sit-to-stand, and stair climbing.
Individuals seek motion analysis when additional expert knowledge is needed to plan both nonsurgical and surgical treatments. Motion analysis provides a quantitative perspective that may not otherwise be easily measured.
We recommend that you discuss with your healthcare provider to determine if the addition of a motion analysis test at the Leon Root, M.D. Motion Analysis Laboratory would benefit your treatment plan. If you have questions, please have your healthcare provider contact us at 212.606.1215.
Gait Analysis and Functional Testing
The two most common types of testing performed are gait analysis and instrumented strength testing. A physical therapy evaluation is the first step of the testing process.
Based on the physician referral and physical therapy evaluation, patient-specific tests are performed.
Gait analysis tests may include:
- Electromyography (EMG) activity
- Joint kinematics and kinetics
- Plantar pressures
- Temporal and distance gait parameters
- Video analysis
Functional testing tests may include:
- Isometric/isokinetic dynamometry
- To conduct high quality investigations of the origin, progression, and ensuing patient disability due to neuromusculoskeletal diagnoses
- To improve our understanding of the nonsurgical conservative and surgical treatment outcomes of these diagnoses
- To examine sport specific biomechanics to objectively determine injury mechanisms, improve treatment, develop strategies for prevention, and provide enhanced design of sports equipment (eg shoe gear)
- To provide clinical motion analysis to support the treatment planning for individuals with neuromusculoskeletal diagnoses
- To participate in regional, national, and international educational activities as well as publish our findings in peer reviewed journals to disseminate the knowledge obtained
- To consider the relationship between the neuromusculoskeletal system structure and function when investigating the origin, diagnosis, treatment,
and prevention of musculoskeletal conditions
- To be the specialists in mobility assessment supporting the HSS mission, vision, and values to improve mobility and enhance the quality of life for all
To schedule an appointment at the Leon Root, M.D. Motion Analysis Laboratory, please call the office manager at 212.606.1215. Have your insurance information and physician referral available when you call. Motion Analysis Laboratory hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
For a patient to be seen in the Leon Root, M.D. Motion Analysis Laboratory, a medical prescription from your referring physician is required. This prescription must be presented at the time of your initial visit. Prescriptions should be dated within 30 days of testing.
Length of Motion Analysis Testing
Walking tests usually take a total of 2-3 hours. The first part is an assessment of your overall structure (joint range of motion, muscle strength, postural alignment, etc). Assessments take about one hour. The second part is a computerized function test lasting an average of 1-2 hours. Muscle strength testing takes a total of an hour.
For walking tests, bring shorts and a sleeveless shirt to change into. For other types of testing, please call us.
It is your responsibility to cancel your appointment 24 hours in advance.