Department of Radiology and Imaging
Hollis G. Potter, MD, Chairman, Department of Radiology and Imaging
Christian S. Geannette, MD, Fellowship Director
Duration: 1 year
Positions: 7 ACGME-Accredited
Location: Hospital for Special Surgery
Contact: Hassan Khan, 212.606.1926, KhanH@hss.edu
Note: We are no longer accepting applications for fellowships for the 2020-2021 academic year.
For the 2021–2022 academic year, HSS will be recruiting radiology fellows through the Musculoskeletal Radiology Fellowship Match. We will begin accepting applications October 1, 2019.
Interviews for the 2021–2022 academic year will take place on:
- Tuesday, December 17, 2019
- Monday, January 6, 2020
- Wednesday, January 22, 2020
The application deadline is December 10, 2019.
Goals of Fellowship
The goals and objectives of the Musculoskeletal Radiology and Imaging Fellowship program are to train the next generation of leaders in musculoskeletal imaging with an emphasis on clinical, teaching, and research skills. Through the use of didactic lectures, case presentations, round table discussions, journal club and question-and-answer sessions, the Radiology and Imaging Weekly Conference series further the fellows’ knowledge of a competence in advanced imaging techniques.
All of the radiology faculty at HSS are committed to education, are locally, nationally and internationally known, and regularly participate in both intra- and interdepartmental conferences. They are consistently invited participants to present original research at formal forums and as visiting professors. The chairman of the Department of Radiology & Imaging and the chiefs of all the major modality divisions are recognized globally in the radiology, orthopaedic and rheumatologic communities for their innovative research, imaging expertise and commitment to teaching.
Curriculum and Expectations
- Fellows rotate through all modalities (MRI, ultrasound, interventional radiology, CT and radiographs) and have dedicated research time. In addition to clinical exposure to routine and complex orthopaedic pathologies, there is a rich academic experience of daily dedicated radiology conferences—all of which are CME-accredited—and multidisciplinary conferences, as well as resident and fellow one-on-one teaching sessions.
- The MRI rotation involves all standardized joint imaging, as well as specialized imaging, including sternoclavicular joints, pectoralis tears, high-resolution nerve imaging and MR angiography. Fellows dictate cases throughout their fellowship.
- The ultrasound rotation provides the musculoskeletal radiology fellow with the foundation to perform common diagnostic musculoskeletal ultrasound examinations and interventional procedures using ultrasound. Fellows are expected to become proficient in diagnostic scanning of the musculoskeletal system as well as in performing commonly requested procedures with sonographic guidance.
- During the interventional radiology rotation, fellows perform interventional diagnostic and therapeutic procedures in the musculoskeletal system confidently, accurately and safely. Pre-procedure imaging studies are reviewed in detail with the special procedures attending and appropriate trajectory and technique is chosen. Procedures performed include osseous and soft-tissue lesion sampling, radiofrequency ablation for osteoid osteomas and aspiration for suspected spondylodisciitis.
- The fellows on the CT rotation review the CT schedule the night before and protocol the cases, at which time they review any relevant prior imaging studies. Fellows are exposed to a variety of cases, including spine (both pre- and postoperative cases), joints, including joint arthroplasty imaging, and extremity work.
- The purpose of the radiograph rotation is to provide a strong foundation in the basic musculoskeletal imaging examination, the radiograph. During this rotation, each fellow also has dedicated research time in the afternoon. Research projects(s) are an expected part of the fellowship.
Learn about the application process.
Back to HSS Radiology and Imaging
Back to Fellowships