The Lance Peters, MD, Memorial Biomechanics Award
The Lance Peters, MD, Memorial Biomechanics Award was developed by the Office of Alumni Affairs in collaboration with the Residency Class of 1999 to recognize a current or recent HSS-trained researcher for an outstanding published paper in biomechanics research. Dr. Peters was a graduate of Weill Cornell Medical College and completed his residency and a fellowship at Hospital for Special Surgery. In recognition of his extensive involvement in biomechanics during his orthopaedic training, this award will be presented in his memory annually at the HSS Alumni Meeting.
The award is available to any post-graduate trainee who has completed research under the mentorship of the HSS Biomechanics Research Faculty. This includes clinical fellows and residents.
A selection committee including two orthopaedic clinician scientists and two scientists in biomechanics will evaluate all submissions unblinded, as the committee is evaluating previously published work.
Applications for 2018 are now closed.
Lauren H. Redler, MD
Lucas S. McDonald, MD, MPH, LCDR MC USN
Patrick C. Schottel, MD
Michael B. Cross, MD
Danyal H. Nawabi, MD
- Applicants must have been enrolled in an HSS training program at the time the research was conducted but not necessarily when the paper was submitted or published.
- Applicant must have completed his or her training within 3 years of award application.
- Applicant must be the lead author on the paper.
- Applicant can only submit one paper.
- Paper reporting research must be published in a peer reviewed journal.
- Article must be published in its final version in print or electronically by the submission deadline. Articles published electronically ahead of print are acceptable.
- Articles accepted for publication but not published by submission deadline are not acceptable; they must be submitted in the following year.
- Applicants must complete the online form.
- Applicants must submit a PDF file of the manuscript.
- Applicants must agree to attend the HSS Alumni Meeting if selected.
- Applicants must provide documentation from a research mentor attesting that the research was conducted while training within an eligible HSS program.
Lance Peters, MD
View all Tribute Awards
- Charles L. Christian Award
- Sam Delgado, CST, Teaching Award
- Distinguished Alumnus Award
- The Pier Giorgio Marchetti, MD, Award for International Achievement
- The Lance Peters, MD, Memorial Biomechanics Award
- Andrew N. Swanson, MD, Spine Awards
- The Georgette "Gigi" Viellion, RN, ONC, Orthopaedic Nursing Education Scholarship Award
- Lewis Clark Wagner Award
- Russell F. Warren, MD, Award for Excellence in Orthopaedic Basic/Translational Research
- Philip D. Wilson, MD, Award