Institutional Review Board, Hospital for Special Surgery
May 16, 2021
The safety of study participants is our top priority. The trial is approved and periodically reviewed by an Institutional Review Board (IRB), which includes doctors, administrators, ethicists, and members of the general public. The safety of clinical trials is reviewed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Before enrolling in a clinical trial, the investigator will explain the purpose of the trial, its expected benefits, any possible risks or side effects, and what your role will be. This is the time to ask questions! If you want to join the trial, you must sign the informed consent documents. You can leave a clinical trial at any time without penalty.
For further information, see Understanding Clinical Trials.
Ellen Casey, MD
Theresa Chiaia, PT, DPT
Polly de Mille RN, MA, RCEP, CSCS, USAT
Jo A Hannafin, MD, PhD
Teena Shetty, MD
Heidi Prather, DO
Erin E. Manning, MD
This research study is designed to address the gender gap that is found in the health literature.
The first phase is an anonymous online survey that is open to retired/former women’s soccer and basketball players who have played at the elite level (i.e., NCAA, Semi-Professional, Professional, or Senior National Team). The questions relate to 5 areas of health: physical, musculoskeletal, female athlete, neurocognitive, and mental. The survey is expected to take 10-20 minutes.
We hope that our initial findings will lay the foundation for future long-term research on the health of female athletes.
Participants need to be retired or former players who are 70 years of age or younger. In addition, participants need to be physically located in the US due to data privacy regulations.
For the purpose of this study, we are defining elite soccer and basketball as any of the following:
• College: Played at least 1 year at a NCAA institution (Divisions 1, 2, and 3)
• Semi-Professional: Played at least 1 season in the W-League, WPSL, UWS, or equivalent
• Professional: Played at least 1 season in the WUSA, WPS, NWSL, or top division overseas
• Senior National Team: Earned at least 1 cap for any country
Soccer survey: https://redcap.link/wosohealth
• Collegiate: Played at least 1 year at a NCAA institution (Divisions 1, 2, and 3)
• Semi-Professional: Played at least 1 season in the WBCBL, WBDA, or equivalent
• Professional: Played at least 1 season in the WNBA, ABL, NWBL or top league overseas
• Senior National Team: At least 1 game appearance for any country
Basketball survey: https://redcap.link/womenbball
Ellen Casey, MD, FASCM
Director of Research, Dept. of Physiatry
Hospital for Special Surgery