“Basketball players need to run faster and jump higher to gain a competitive advantage,” says Dr. Answorth Allen, Orthopedic Surgeon. “That means increasing power and improving flexibility through various methods. If you want to develop your abilities on the basketball court, Dr. Allen has some tips to boost your vertical jump.”
1. Work on your strength training. Having a full-body weight training routine is important. To improve your jumping ability, it’s essential to do weight lifting exercises that focus on the quadriceps, hamstrings, hip flexors, and core muscles.
2. Sport-specific exercises help train your body to improve on specific movements. If you’re trying to improve your jumping, you should try exercises such as re-leaps. Get in a squatting position and jump up as high as you can. Also, try lateral hammer hops. Hop on one leg and then alternate to the next leg. Try both of these exercises for three sets each for 10-12 reps.
3. Once you’re comfortable doing these jumping exercises at a moderate pace, try increasing your speed. This will strengthen and also teach your muscles to react more quickly.
4. Strengthening is important, but so is flexibility. Make sure to do a variety of stretches for all of the muscles that you workout, especially your legs. Also, work on your cardiovascular endurance, so you won’t get as easily fatigued
5. Perhaps the most important tip is to decrease extra body fat. The more you weigh, the harder it is to lift yourself off the ground.