At HSS the Nursing Professional Development team coordinates and supports programs aimed to generate clinical knowledge and skills required to provide specialized care for each and every patient. Initiatives that have been put into place at HSS to ensure continued growth as individuals and as a department, include the following:
- RN transition to practice – the team encourages new and experienced nurses to embrace HSS values, develop orthopedic knowledge and integrate with clinical care skills at the patient bedside. The inpatient nurse residency is certified by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
- Competency assessment – the team provides real-time training to nursing staff specific to new or unfamiliar bedside procedures, products and complex patient care situations.
- Changes in practice – team members inform policy and procedures as well as changes in clinical practice through involvement on interdisciplinary committees. They develop, deliver and evaluate change related training.
- Coordination of student affiliations – the department is committed to the nursing profession. HSS partners with multiple academic nursing programs to provide dynamic clinical rotations for student nurses. HSS has successfully recruited top students upon graduation.
- Continuing education – the team conducts ongoing observation of nursing practice during which they identify the learning needs of nurses, technicians and patient care assistants. Based on assessment needs they create ANCC approved programs and present to both internal and external audiences.
The HSS Nursing Professional Development team is designed to provide our extraordinary nurses with clear direction and the opportunity for career advancement. Additionally, we support a lifelong learning culture to expand on the organizational standard of high-quality patient care delivery and academic achievement.