It is well known that gym memberships and workout classes can get expensive. If you?re trying to save money, enjoy the summer weather, and get some much needed vitamin D, you?ve probably began to work out in or around your own home.
Here are 6 simple tips to help you stay safe and injury free while getting FIT!
1. If you?re following a workout from a magazine, video, or app: Recognize that these workouts are made for the ?general population.? Modify movements, weights, and time if necessary. Know your limits!
2. Change up your workouts. Don?t do the same thing every day. See my previous post about circuit training for some ideas: https://www.hss.edu/playbook/adding-circuit-training-to-your-gym-routine/.
3.? SAY NO to pain! The old motto, ?No pain, no gain,? is NO MORE! If you?re experiencing pain, modify or stop the movement. You can consult with a qualified physical therapist, athletic trainer or personal trainer for tips on modifications of your movements.
4. Don?t be afraid to ask for help. It?s easy to get overwhelmed when you?re starting a workout routine on your own. You may feel unsure about your form, how to put together an effective program, and what exercises you need to do to get the results you?re after. Even if you aren?t ready to commit to regular sessions, don?t be afraid to schedule a consultation with a certified strength and conditioning specialist or personal trainer. They can help you put a plan together, teach you the basics of good form, and offer some encouragement.
5. Hydrate and get enough sleep. Many injuries can occur because of dehydration and exhaustion. Drink plenty of water and get at least 8 hours of sleep every night.
6. Regenerate. Make sure you take some days off. Let your body recovery and regenerate after tough workouts. This is where you make the most of your workout and time. You can do this by using self myofascial techniques such as foam rolling or trigger point therapy.
Need to pump up the volume while working out at home? Check out Kara?s Spotify playlist!