Few things can be more confusing than trying to navigate the American health care system and few cities are more overwhelming than New York City. So imagine traveling from another country to New York City for medical care. At Hospital for Special Surgery, the International Center assists patients who travel from around the globe seeking the world-renowned orthopedic and rheumatologic care provided at the hospital. We also work with patients from the diplomatic community based in the United States as well as ex-pats living here who have international health insurance.
Over the past year we have seen a 30% increase in procedures at the Center. Last year we served approximately 750 patients from close to 80 countries, with Latin America, Western Europe and the Middle East as the top regions from where patients traveled. Our international patients are an interesting and dynamic population to work with as they come from so many different cultures and backgrounds, each with a unique story to tell. An avid traveler myself, I have enjoyed meeting patients from as far away as Australia, India and Asia, and as close by as the next zip code in my work at the International Center.
International Center Services
We strive to make patients’ experience at our hospital as comfortable and easy as possible, offering services they will need before, during and following their hospital visit:
- Referrals to appropriate physicians and scheduling of appointments
- Facilitation of transportation and accommodations needs
- Interpretive services
- Patients and family management during their time at HSS
- Management of financial services including estimates, collection of treatment deposits, handling international insurance issues and coordinating final billing arrangements
- Assistance with any other accommodation needs throughout their visit to New York
Tips for International Patients
Before traveling to HSS for a consultation and procedure, international patients should keep in mind these tips:
- Contact the International Center and confirm all scheduled appointment times
- Notify the International Center if you will need an interpreter for your clinical appointments
- Bring your most recent films (within the last 6 months) and medical reports in English with you to your physician appointment. Note that all documents must be in English.
International Center Contact Information
If you or someone you know is interested in traveling to HSS from abroad, contact us at +1 (212) 606-1186 or at email@example.com. You can also visit our web page for additional information: https://hss.edu/international-center.asp
International Center Mission and Vision
Our mission at the Center is twofold: provide the highest quality of care to meet the clinical and personal needs of international patients and their families with skill and compassion while maintaining sensitivity to their cultural and multi-lingual needs, and elevate the reputation of the hospital as an international center of orthopedic and rheumatologic excellence.
Our vision is to ensure that each patient has a positive experience with the International Center that is commensurate with the highest standard of patient care HSS aspires to provide all patients.