The holidays are here! People are busy lifting heavy objects and climbing ladders to decorate their homes which can lead to a number of injuries. Lauren Piljic, Physical Therapist, has some useful tips to remember when decorating this holiday season.
1. When lifting that heavy box of decorations make sure that you are lifting and bending with your knees and not with your back. Squat with your knees and keep the object close to your body when lifting to protect your back.
2. Be wary of slippery surfaces when working outside. Moisture or ice can form on ladder steps, sidewalks, and walkways.
3. Before hanging those lights on the roof, make sure to inspect your ladder to ensure all parts are in place. Make sure to place the ladder on a firm and level surface when in use.
4. Stow away excess lighting, wires, and surge protectors in order to avoid unnecessary trips and falls.
5. If your physical condition is compromised due to injury or recovery, make decorating a family activity. A group effort will allow you to conserve energy and avoid joint aches and pains during your holiday decorating.