Positioning After Right Foot or Ankle Surgery
HSS Rehabilitation has prepared this material to help guide you through your recovery after your foot or ankle surgery. If you have more specific questions, please contact your physician or physical therapist.
- The primary resting position is lying down with the foot elevated.
- Try to elevate the foot above the level of your heart.
- Keep your leg supported.
- Avoid placing weight directly on your heel
- Minimize sitting time as much as possible to limit swelling.
- When sitting, elevate your leg as tolerated.
- Do not allow your leg to dangle downwards for too long.