Fort Lauderdale—January 10, 2014
As soccer players flood the Fort Lauderdale area for the 2014 MLS Player Combine, the Soccer Industry Medical Symposium presented by Hospital for Special Surgery and Major League Soccer will bring together some of the country’s foremost sports medicine professionals to discuss managing athletic injuries. Dr. Bryan Kelly, HSS Orthopedic Surgeon and Team Physician for the New York Giants, will lead key discussions on the hip and how to effectively prevent, diagnose and treat injuries.
According to Dr. Kelly, there is an increased recognition of hip injuries and there may also be an increase of actual incident due to lack of cross-training in developing hips. “We hope that attendees will leave knowing how to appropriately diagnose and treat hip injuries in soccer players,” Dr. Kelly said. "Once [injury] has occurred, early diagnosis and treatment is important."
WHAT: Hospital for Special Surgery and Major League Soccer are jointly sponsoring the 2014 Major League Soccer Medical Symposium in Fort Lauderdale on January 11, 2014 concurrent to the MLS Soccer Combine. The 2014 MLS Medical Symposium is a forum for medical teams to receive guidance on identifying, preventing and treating injuries.
Hospital for Special Surgery is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
• John Gallucci, Jr., Medical Coordinator for Major League Soccer
• Holly Silvers, Director of Research at Santa Monica Sports Medicine Foundation
• Nik Wald, Director of Sports Medicine/Head Athletic Trainer of Portland Timbers
• Dr. Robert J. Butler, Assistant Professor at Duke University
• Dr. Michael Gerhardt, Team Physician for US Soccer and Major League Soccer
• Dr. Michael K. Shindle, Team Physician for New York Red Bulls
• Grizelle G. Auguste, Supervisor at UHZ Sports Medicine Institute
• Ron Courson, Senior Associate Athletic Director, University of Georgia
• Amanda Martin, Orthopedic Sports Medicine Physician, Lemak Sports Medicine
• Jaime Rojas, Head Athletic Trainer, Colorado Rapids
• Dr. Damion Martins, Team Physician of New York Jets
• Chip Hummer, Medical Director and Team Physician of Philadelphia Union and Swarthmore College
• Dr. Wayne Gersoff, Chief Medical Officer of Colorado Rapids
WHEN: January 11, 2014
8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
WHERE: Harbor Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
3030 Holiday Drive
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
CONTACT: Tracy Hickenbottom
About Hospital for Special Surgery
Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) is the world’s leading academic medical center focused on musculoskeletal health. HSS is nationally ranked No. 1 in orthopedics and No. 3 in rheumatology by U.S. News & World Report (2017-2018), and is the first hospital in New York State to receive Magnet Recognition for Excellence in Nursing Service from the American Nurses Credentialing Center four consecutive times. HSS has one of the lowest infection rates in the country. HSS is an affiliate of Weill Cornell Medical College and as such all Hospital for Special Surgery medical staff are faculty of Weill Cornell. The hospital's research division is internationally recognized as a leader in the investigation of musculoskeletal and autoimmune diseases. HSS has locations in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.