The focus of the Women's Sports Medicine Service is to provide the best care to our patients with a team approach to their injury and concerns. Our team provides a comprehensive approach to our patients in order to get them back to their activities in a safe manner. The services provided also emphasize the importance of injury prevention and a general healthy lifestyle. This unique care is provided by the following services:
Performance enhancement is designed to help athletes increase their ability to improve performance, reach full potential, and have more fun. Learn specific tools, such as concentration and anxiety control, self-talk, goal setting, relaxation, and mental imagery, to improve your confidence and performance.
Athletic injury can be devastating to an active or competitive individual. Much of the recovery process is focused on physical rehabilitation, often overlooking the psychological repercussions. Learn to use imagery to recover lost practice time, explore and understand your emotions following injury, and come back psychologically stronger than ever.
Meet with an exercise physiologist to review or design a personalized fitness program that meets your fitness goals, integrates with your lifestyle and provides maximum results with minimum risk of injury.
Evaluate your cardiovascular fitness during a progressive exercise challenge on a treadmill or bicycle ergometer. Learn your VO2max, maximal heart rate and other indicators of aerobic fitness which can help you optimize your endurance training. (You must pass certain screening criteria.)
Curious about your body fat percentage? Need guidance in establishing realistic weight goals? Determine your current levels of fat and lean body mass through a skinfold caliper test performed by a skilled exercise physiologist.
Flexibility and Strength
Range of motion tests for important joints and muscles in the body will help you design an effective stretching program. Selected strength tests can detect muscle weakness or imbalance. A postural evaluation by the physical therapist also provides clues about body symmetry, strength and flexibility.
Comprehensive Nutrition Therapy is available for sports nutrition, including:
- training diets
- pre-competition, competition, and recovery nutrition
- fluid strategies for hydration and energy
- disordered eating and the Female Athlete Triad
- osteoporosis prevention and treatment
- weight management
- nutritional supplements/ergogenic aids
- vegetarian diets
- high-energy snacking
- general health and well-being
- cholesterol, diabetes or high blood pressure management
- Optimize your training regimen. Learn about cross training, using different exercise modalities, hard and easy days and, especially, recovery time!
- Provide your body with the nutrition and fluids you need for the energy to train and compete, or just make it through a long day!
- Learn and use mental preparation techniques such as mental imagery, goal-setting, concentration and anxiety management.
- Increase your muscle strength, using techniques to engage your core, improve your balance and promote whole body functional strength.
- Improve your skills through good coaching and practice.