The chapel at Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) is open to all religious preferences. It is open 24/7 and can be used for prayer and meditation. Bibles (in English and Spanish), prayer books, prayer rug, and care notes are available. The chapel is located on the 1st floor in main lobby of the Hospital.
Please see our neighborhood directory for information on local houses of worship.
In House Spiritual Television
HSS has an in house TV channel called HCCN-TV, channel #121, for meditation and relaxation.
For Catholic-Protestant/Ecumenical Patients
- Feast and Fast Day Services such as Ash Wednesday, Holy Week, and other Christian Holidays are held as announced. Bulletins and flyers are posted in the chapel (1st floor in main lobby of the Hospital) with details of the Feast and Fast Day Services.
For Jewish Patients
- Sabbath Elevator in HSS is located on the east side of the hospital which stops automatically on each floor.
- Shabbat candles/Shabbos in a Box are available upon request either by calling the Spirital Care Department at 212.606.1757 or by going to the Bikur Cholim Room.
- Bikur Cholim Room (Kosher Hospitality Room) is located on the 2nd floor in Room 2W-167 (between the mail room and the East elevator). Light snacks available.
- Kosher food (OJ acceptable, a Chassidic certification) is available for patients through arrangements with department of Food and Nutrition.
- Kosher refrigerators for patients can be requested by contacting a chaplain or nurse. There is also a kosher refrigerator on 8 East in the Nourishment Room (kitchenette). Please label the food clearly with patient's name and date so that it is not discarded.
Download the Jewish Spiritual Care brochure
For Muslim Patients
- The five daily prayers can be said in the chapel every day at the normal prayer times, or in your room. A prayer time schedule, prayer rug, Qibla, and a copy of the Holy Quran are in the chapel (1st floor in main lobby of the Hospital).
Download the Muslim Spiritual Care brochure
For Roman Catholic Patients
- The Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist is available daily by our Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion.
- The Sacrament of the Sick (Anointing) is available throughout the week by our Dominican Priest.
- Our Roman Catholic Chaplains are from St. Catherine of Siena/Dominican Friars HealthCare Ministry.
- Daily Mass is at 7:00 AM and 5:15 PM at St. Catherine of Siena Church located on 68th Street between York and First Avenue.
Download the Spiritual Care brochure
The Annual Memorial Service
This is a service of remembrance for staff, family members, and board members who mourn the loss of a loved one who has passed away in the previous year.