The presurgical diet guidelines below are for general purposes only. Your physician or surgeon may require you to follow an alternative plan. In that case, follow your physician’s instructions rather than the guidelines below.
Fourteen Days Prior to Surgery
- Stop all nutritional and herbal supplements (vitamins/minerals/herbals).
- EXCEPTIONS: The following are okay to continue: calcium, iron and vitamin D.
The Day Before Surgery
- Follow your regular diet.
- Do not eat any solid food after midnight. (CLEAR FLUIDS ONLY after midnight.)
Day of Surgery
- IF INSTRUCTED, drink carbohydrate-rich drink (ENSURE® PRE-SURGERY, 10 oz.) 3 hours before procedure
- Take CLEAR FLUIDS up to 3 hours before surgery (or up until your arrival at the Hospital if greater than 3 hours prior to surgery).
- DO NOT eat or drink anything after arriving at the Hospital.
- Water (plain, carbonated or flavored)
- Apple, cranberry and grape juice
- Sports drinks such as Gatorade, Propel or Powerade
- Black coffee or tea
- Clear broth
- Ginger ale and seltzer
- Jell-O, popsicles and Italian ice
- Ensure® Pre-Surgery, 10 oz. (if directed)
- Milk or dairy products (including in coffee and tea)
- Citrus juices
- Prune juice
- Juices with pulp
- Any food or beverage not listed in the