It’s Global Employee Health & Fitness Month! Walking is a great form of exercise. It doesn’t require expensive equipment, it’s easy on the joints and you can do it just about anywhere and anytime, especially during your work break. HSS has an employee walking program called HSS on the Move, where employees walk during their lunch break to improve their health, take a break from the pressures of the day and return to work with more energy. The Women’s Sports Medicine Center at HSS provides the following tips for walking for good health:
1. Adults should engage in 30 minutes or more of moderate-intensity physical activity about every day of the week. Start with walking 2 miles briskly (about 4 miles per hour).
2. Begin your walking routine with a 10-15 minute walk and add a couple minutes each week.
3. When you can easily walk 30-45 minutes, try to add some brisk walking intervals into your walk. One block fast, one block slow, etc.
4. For long-term weight control, the Institute of Medicine recommends 60 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise five days a week.
5. Wear a pair of comfortable and supportive athletic shoes. Select walking, running or cross-training shoes.
For more tips on walking for good health, click here.