Warming up for Spring: Triathlon Training and Injury Prevention
Scores of New York City Triathletes to Convene
New York, NY—March 2, 2006
Even with the impending snow storm looming over New York, nearly 100 enthusiastic triathletes are expected to attend a prep session at New York’s Hospital for Special Surgery on medical issues that may arise while training for, and competing in, a triathlon.
Medical experts and triathlon coaches from across the city will address the following topics:
- How to recognize early injuries and prevent them from occurring
- Medical issues for triathletes, including nutrition and injury prevention: Iliotibial band (ITB) syndrome, shin splints, shoulder and hamstring injuries
- Stretching and strengthening exercises to prevent and manage injuries
In addition, the event will include:
- Live patient evaluation and patient video demonstrations
- A panel discussion with New York City triathlon coaches (with audience participation)
Thursday, March 2, 2006
7 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Hospital for Special Surgery, 535 East 70 Street, NYC (York Ave. & FDR Dr.) Richard L. Menschel Education Center, 2nd FL
- Triathletes and other athletes looking for training guidance for spring and summer triathlons
- Triathlon coaches from across New York City
- Jay Borok, coach, Team-in-Training
- Robert Pennino, head coach, Terrier Tri
- Lee Silverman, JackRabbit Sports
- Christophe Vandaele, Swim, Bike, and Run (SBR)
- Doctors and triathlon medical professionals
- Jordan Metzl, MD, assistant attending physician and pediatrician as well as the medical director and co-founder of the Sports Medicine Institute for Young Athletes at Hospital for Special Surgery. In addition to his medical career, Dr. Metzl is an avid sports enthusiast; he is a 25-time marathon runner and a 4-time Ironman triathlete. Dr. Metzl is the author of the critically acclaimed book, The Young Athlete, A Sports Doctor's Complete Guide for Parents, published by Little Brown in 2002.
- Dr. Paul Weiss, senior director, Asphalt Green, director, Triathlon Training Institute
- Cynthia Gormezano, PT is a licensed physical therapist and a member of the American Physical Therapy Association. She created Cynergy Physical Therapy and has worked with athletes of all ages, professional and amateur.
The Sports Medicine Institute for Young Athletes at Hospital for Special Surgery is one of the first sports medicine centers dedicated to the treatment of sports injuries in youth and adolescent athletes.