What you Need to Know About Treating Avascular Necrosis

Stamford Daily Voice—July 19, 2016

In a recent article published by Stamford Daily Voice, Charles N. Cornell, MD, a hip and knee surgeon at Hospital for Special Surgery, explains the diagnosis of avascular necrosis (AVN) in a two-part Q&A series.

For example, Dr. Cornell answers this question: "What should you do if you are diagnosed with avascular necrosis?" with the following answer, "If you are diagnosed with AVN, seek treatment from a specialist in the disease. Endocrinologists, rheumatologists and orthopedic surgeons are the subspecialties that usually treat this disorder. Treatment remains very controversial and traditional surgical procedures such as core decompression have been prescribed. In my view, there is little scientific support for surgical treatment of this disorder in its early stages."

To read more of the Q&A, visit Stamford.DailyVoice.com.


Find a Physician

Conditions & Treatments

adult child
Select A Body Part

Complete Listing »

Media Contacts

Tracy Hickenbottom
Monique Irons
Sherry Randolph


Social Media Contacts

Andrew Worob
Otis Gamboa