Lupus and APS Center of Excellence Presentations
- The Lupus and APS Center of Excellence held an event “Honoring Lupus Heroes.” The event honored patients for their contributions to lupus research and care. Full event video available online. Watch now
- Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care Physicians Drs. Doruk Erkan, Jane Salmon, and Michael D. Lockshin attended the 2nd APS ACTION (AntiPhospholipid Syndrome Alliance For Clinical Trials and InternatiOnal Networking) Annual Summit in early November in Chicago. Two important clinical research projects were launched:
a) APS ACTION International Clinical Database and Repository
b) A Multicenter International Prospective, Randomized Controlled Trial of Hydroxychloroquine in the Primary Thrombosis Prophylaxis of Persistently Antiphospholipid Antibody Positive but Thrombosis-free Patients without Systemic Autoimmune Diseases
- Dr. Ronald Derksen, MD, PhD gave a special presentation as part of the MKCLC Special Lecture Series; he discussed: “Pregnancy in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus- The UMCU Experience, 2000-2011.”
- Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care Attendings, Drs. Jane Salmon and Michael Lockshin participated in a web seminar in collaboration with the Lupus Foundation of America; click here to watch the webinar.
- View a list of the 2011 American College of Rheumatology Presentations and Lectures given by the Attendings and Staff of the Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care.
- The Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care is proud to announce that it’s Clinical Co-Director, Doruk Erkan, MD was promoted to Associate Professor of Medicine at Weill Medical College of Cornell University and to Associate Attending Physician at Hospital for Special Surgery. Congratulations, Dr. Erkan!
- On October 21, 2011 The Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care Clinical Co-Director, Kyriakos Kirou, MD presented on the “Perioperative Care of the Patient with Lupus" the Perioperative Grand Rounds, in conjunction with the Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care Special Lecture Series.
- The Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care will present 33 oral and poster presentations during the upcoming 2011 American College of Rheumatology Annual Conference to be held in Chicago, Illinois.
- The Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care hosted the very first NewYork Presbyterian Hospital Resident in a Special Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) & Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS) Elective Rotation. This new elective will focus on the clinical care of SLE & APS patients and revolve around the dynamics of a Center focused multi-disciplinary approach to patient care
- On August 13th, 2011, rheumatology nurse practitioner Monica Richey, NP, presented an Overall Review of Lupus at the Rheumatology Nurse’s Society. The meeting was held in Kansas City, Missouri.
- On May 4th, The CVD Prevention Counseling Program held its first interactive webchat for its patients. Topics covered in the chat ranged from dieting and exercise to medication and supplements, with answers provided by several members of the CVD Program's staff, including physicians, a nurse practitioner, a nutritionist, and a physical therapist. Read the transcript.
- On February 17-19, 2011, the Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) Prevention Counseling Program's coordinators Monica Richey, MSN, ANP-BC/GNP, and Virginia Haiduc, MD, had a poster presentation about the CVD program at the annual meeting of the American College of Preventive Medicine, the Preventive Medicine and Lifestyle Medicine 2011 Conference in San Antonio, Texas.
- On February 23, 2011, Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care Clinical Co-Directors, Dr. Doruk Erkan and Dr. Kyriakos Kirou presented Rheumatology Grand Rounds on the MKCLC. The title of their talk lecture was: “Update on the Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care & Recent Lupus Clinical Trials”
- On December 2, 2010, the CVD Prevention Program held its annual patient celebration with over 35 guests. The theme of the celebration was “healthy diet,” with presentations by the American Heart Association, Sotiria Everett (CVD program nutritionist), and Lisa Konstantellis (CVD program physical therapist). In addition, Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care Clinical Co-Director, Dr. Kyriakos Kirou conducted the “Ask the Expert” Question/Answer session. The highlight of the afternoon was the “Biggest Loser Competition” where our winner had a weight loss of 15 pounds over 3 months!
- The Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care staff presents an abstract on the Lupus Center at the Annual American College of Rheumatology (ACR) Conference in Atlanta, Georgia. [Reference: Persad, P., et al. The Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care: A Multi-disciplinary Specialized Disease Center. Arthritis Rheum 2010; 62(10):5868.] Review some of the Abstracts and Presentations given by the Lupus Center Staff and Lupus Attendings.
- Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care Physicians Drs. Doruk Erkan and Michael D. Lockshin organized an International Collaborative Antiphospholipid Syndrome Summit in early November in Miami that resulted in the formation of a clinical trial research alliance entitled AntiPhospholipid Syndrome Alliance For Clinical Trials and InternatiOnal Networking (“APS ACTION”).
- On November 27, 2010, the Greek American newspaper, The National Herald, hosted an interview with the Co-Director of the MKCLC, Kyriakos Kirou, MD. Dr Kirou answered questions about the disease of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and informed the newspaper readers from the Greek American community about the exceptional services that the Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care at HSS offers.
- Dr. Doruk Erkan, Assistant Attending Rheumatologist and Clinical Co-Director of the Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care, presented the Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care: Multi-disciplinary Approach to Patient Care as well as a Lupus Treatments Update at the Rheumatology Nurses Society Annual Conference in Chicago, IL.
- Dr. Michael Lockshin, our Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care “Lupus Attending,” as well as Attending Rheumatologist and Director of the Barbara Volker Center for Women and Rheumatic Disease at Hospital for Special Surgery, has completed a successful tenure as Editor of the prestigious rheumatology journal Arthritis & Rheumatism (A&R). Read about his memories as Editor and his transition message to Joan Bathon - who will begin her term as Editor on July 1, 2010.
- Dr. Kyriakos Kirou, Assistant Attending Rheumatologist and Clinical Co-Director of the Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care, was quoted in a recent Massachusetts Institute of Technology article on a promising, potential new lupus therapy, Lupuzor.
- Review recent Lupus Attending PubMed publications and listings from 2009-2010.
- The Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care is proud to announce the creation of its Lupus Center Fast Track System which allows patients with lupus or antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) to call us and make an appointment with a Lupus Attending within 3-5 business days!
- Drs. Doruk Erkan and Michael Lockshin co-chaired the Antiphospholipid Syndrome Clinical Research Task Force and presented several lectures during the recent 13th International Congress on Antiphospholipid Antibodies.
- Clinical Co-Director of the Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care, Dr. Kyriakos Kirou was featured in a recent WebMD article which demonstrated that obesity may increase one’s risk of fibromyalgia.
- "Update on New Therapies in SLE": In this review, posted online on Medscape Rheumatology on 4/21/2010, Drs. Kyriakos Kirou and Stephen Paget discuss new therapies on the horizon for patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Please visit Medscape for the full article.
- The inaugural issue of The CVD Voice, the Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) Prevention Counseling Program newsletter, has been published.
- The April 2010 issue of the HSS Lupus Center Professional Newsletter has also been published.
- The first ever Lupus Conference/Special Lecture Series was held on 2/26/10. Special guest nephrologist Dr. James Chevalier from New York Hospital presented “Lupus Nephritis from the Nephrologist's Perspective.” This new lecture series aims to highlight lupus and a closely related field. Please see our Special Lecture Series page for upcoming lectures.
- The Winter 2010 issue of the HSS Lupus Center Patient Newsletter has been published.
- The January 2010 issue of the HSS Lupus Center Professional Newsletter has also been published.
- HSS Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care (MKCLC) Attending Physicians and Researchers presented 18 studies at the 2009 Annual American College of Rheumatology Meeting, held October 16-21, 2009 in Philadelphia, PA. See the selected studies.
- Special talks and sessions were given by Lupus Attending Physicians at the 2009 Annual American College of Rheumatology Meeting held October 16-21, 2009 in Philadelphia, PA. See the selected sessions.
- The Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Counseling Program successfully completed its first Patient Symposium & Celebration on 10/23/09, with special guests, The American Heart Association.
- MKCLC and Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Counseling Program Nurse, Monica Richey, ANP, GNP, was named the first ever Rheumatology Nurse Practitioner at HSS. She will be working with collaborating physician, Dr. Stephen Paget, Physician-in-Chief and Chairman of the Division of Rheumatology. Congratulations, Monica.
- Dr. Doruk Erkan and Monica Richey, ANP, GNP present a lecture - Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in Lupus and Antiphospholipid Syndrome - at the 2nd Rheumatology Nurses Society Meeting in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Care - Official Kickoff
^ Back to Top