During the first few weeks at home you will begin to adapt what you learned in the Hospital to your own setting. Prior to surgery, you will need to prepare your home for recovery.
- Store items within easy reach. Take items you may need out of low cabinets or shelves prior to surgery because you will not be able to reach them after surgery.
- Prepare meals ahead of time and store in the freezer. Have your favorite home delivery numbers handy!
- Ask a family member or support person to be available to assist with your care.
- Reduce clutter.
- Remove loose wires and cords.
- Smooth out rugs and anchor them to the floor.
- Place nonskid tape or mats at the sink.
- Use a nightlight in the bathroom.
- Turn on lights when you get up at night.
- Secure rugs and treads on the stairs.