Paolo Aglietti, MD, was a fellow at HSS from 1972 to 1974 and specialized in hip and knee arthroplasty. In his career, he focused on sports medicine. After graduating from the University of Florence (Italy) he completed his residency at the University of Florence in orthopaedics and traumatology. Two major accomplishments were his service as professor and chairman for the First Orthopaedic Clinic at the University of Florence and his founding membership of the Italian Society of Knee Surgery (ISKS) and the Italian Society of Arthroscopy (ISA), in which he served as president in 1982 and 1989. He was co-editor of the book Surgery of the Knee and published more than 120 articles in journals around the world. Towards the end of his career he served as the president of the International Society of Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (ISAKOS) from 2007 to 2009 and was inducted into the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine Hall of Fame in 2008.
Michael A. Browne, MD, passed away on January 5, 2013. Born in 1927 in Longford, Ireland, he attended Presentation College in Cork. One of seven National Scholarships from the Irish government was granted to him, which helped him pursue his studies at University College Cork. He was an HSS fellow in 1959 but also trained at Massachusetts General Hospital, American College of Surgeons and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons while he was in the United States. In his private practice in Stamford, Connecticut, he specialized in hand and upper extremity cases. From 1978 to 1983 he served as director of the orthopaedic departments at both Stamford Hospital and Saint Joseph Hospital. He also served as an assistant clinical professor for HSS and New York Medical College. Dr. Browne co-founded the Irish American Orthopaedic Society which created fellowships for Irish, American and British surgeons and served as president from 1981 to 1983.
George Kenyon Carpenter, Jr., MD, passed away on September 13, 2008. He graduated from Vanderbilt and attended the University of Tennessee at Memphis for medical school. He completed his residency in orthopaedic surgery at HSS in 1962. Dr. Carpenter served as a surgeon with the United States Army in Korea and when he returned home, he took up practice with the group his father founded, Nashville Orthopaedic Associates (now Tennessee Orthopaedic Alliance.) He retired in 1992.
Peter Dingman, MD, passed away at the age of 90. He was an HSS resident from January 1949 to December 1950 and always spoke of his gratitude for the education he received from HSS.
William F. Donaldson, JR, MD, received his medical degree in 1943 from the University of Pittsburgh and served as a physician in the South Pacific during WWII. Following his discharge from the US Navy, he completed his orthopaedic residency in Pittsburgh and continued with a Scoliosis Fellowship at HSS. Upon completing his training, Dr. Donaldson returned to Pittsburgh and was active on the staff of Presbyterian University Hospital and Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh for 40 years, where he as a pioneer and innovator in children's spinal surgery. He was also a founding partner of Oakland Orthopaedic Associates where he practiced until his retirement from surgery and served as Medical Director of Children's Hospital for 13 years. Dr. Donaldson was president of numerous organizations including the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the Pittsburgh Academy of Medicine, Alleghany Medical Society, and Vice President of the American College of Surgeons. He was also recognized for his contributions to orthopaedic surgery with the William F. and Jean W. Donaldson Chair in Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh. Dr. Donaldson's first love was always his family, and he orchestrated many joyful family reunions, bringing family members together from across the country for ski trips and beach vacations.
Richard S. Laskin, MD passed away on March 1, 2008. Dr. Laskin was a member of the HSS staff for 17 years, Chief of Arthroplasty Service and Editor of the HSS Journal. His academic accomplishments and incredible innovative ability are legend, but his personal qualities of kindness, genuine caring for his patients and colleagues, and mentorship made Dick Laskin very special.
John L. Lawson, MD, earned his Bachelors degree from the University of Virginia, Charlottsville and his medical degree from University of Chicago. He went on to New England Deaconess Hospital for his residency after which he completed an HSS rheumatology fellowship. Dr. Lawson decided to transition from his role in research to clinical practice and began his medical career in Washington, DC in internal medicine and rheumatology. He joined Arthritis and Rheumatism Associates in 1998 and was an active member of the Medical Society of the District of Columbia. His passion was organized medicine and he served as Medical Society President in 2003 and Chairman in 2004.
Edward Berry Leahey, Sr, MD, graduated from Georgetown Medical School in 1944 and served as captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps, assigned to an orthopaedic service. He continued his training in orthopaedics at Bronx Veterans Hospital, HSS, and New York State Rehabilitation Hospital. Dr. Leahey began a private surgical practice in South Nyack in 1952 and saw patient in is home office until is retirement to Dover in 1996. He a was affiliated with Good Samaritan Hospital, Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons, and Nyack Hospital, where he was the founder and director of the Rehabilitation, (1959-1989) medical director, (1959) and senior attending orthopaedist (1953-1972). Dr. Leahey's hobbies included photography and boating, and during his retirement, he enjoyed frequent visits from his family and friends.
Siavash Mahinpour, MD, served as an HSS Scoliosis Fellow. He was born in Iran and graduated form the University of Tehran Medical School. He came to the US in 1967 to complete his medical internship at Queens General Hospital and residency. Dr. Mahinpour was a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
James A. Nicholas, MD graduated from the HSS Residency and served as Attending Orthopaedic Surgeon at HSS for many years. While on staff, he initially developed an interest in metabolic bone disease. He was a specialist in the management of adrenal disease during surgery and was a member of the team that operated on Senator John F. Kennedy's spine in October 1954. Dr. Nicholas was one of the founders of the practice of sports medicine at Hospital for Special Surgery. He also served as President of the Alumni Association at Hospital for Special Surgery from 1976 to 1977. He was an outstanding teacher and innovator of many surgical techniques for ligamentous reconstructions about the knee and shoulder. Dr. Nicholas was Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery at Lenox Hill Hospital and always remained a great friend to HSS.
Lance Peters, MD, passed away suddenly on December 6, 2008. Dr. Peters was a graduate of Weill Cornell Medical College and completed his residency at Hospital for Special Surgery in 2001. He specialized in joint replacement and practiced in Binghamton, Ithaca, and Auburn, NY.
Moses Rabson, MD, received his medical degree from Temple University Medical School, where he met his future wife, Frances Weiner. He went into the Army as a medical officer and landed on Normandy, June 23, 1944. His decorated awards included the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and the Combat Medical Badge with five battle stars. After his discharge in 1946, he completed his orthopaedic residency at HSS in 1950, and established a practice in the outskirts of Philadelphia. He was affiliated with Albert Einstein Medical Center and John F. Kennedy Memorial Hospital. He was also a clinical professor of orthopaedic surgery at Temple University Medical School. Dr. Rabson was a talented photographer and classical music aficionado and enjoyed polishing and cutting stones, which he made into jewelry for friends and family. Retiring in the late 1980s, he is survived by his wife, son, Joseph, and daughter, Sylvia Karasu, who are also physicians, and two grandchildren.
Thomas Dignan Rizzo, MD, passed away on November 2, 2010, after a long and fulfilling life. “Big Daddy,” as he was affectionately known by to his grandchildren. He was a cum laude graduate from Georgetown University and Georgetown Medical School in 1958 and 1956, respectively. The discrepancy occurred when he was accepted to medical school early prior to completing his undergraduate studies. He trained in surgery at St. Vincent’s Hospital (NY) and in orthopaedic surgery at HSS. He also was a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Following his service as Captain in the USAF from 1959-1961, he completed a Fellowship at Newington Hospital for Crippled Children. In 1963, he entered private practice and was a member of the surgical staff at Lawrence Hospital in Bronxville, N.Y. until his retirement in 2009. Over his career he had appointments at St. John’s Riverside Hospital, Dobbs Ferry Hospital, Doctors Hospital, and The Hospital for Special Surgery. He is survived by his devoted wife of 52 years, Jean Kathryn Foley.
Francis A. Slowick, Sr, MD, passed away at the age 105 and was the Association's oldest living alumnus. Dr Slowick graduated from Tufts Medical School in 1928 and completed his residency at Boston City Hospital and HSS. He maintained his practice in Pittsfield from 1934 to 1978 and was affiliated with the former St. Luke's, Pittsfield General, Hillcrest Hospitals, and Fairview Hospital in Great Barrington. He was a fellow of the American College of Surgeons ad past member of the Massachusetts and American Medical Associations. Dr. Slowick enjoyed art, reading, music, and playing golf.
Richard M. Stark, MD, died suddenly December 15, 2007 at his home in Riverside, CT. He had been treated for complicated heart disease and diabetes. A graduate of Union College and Chicago Medical School, he completed his orthopaedic residency at HSS in 1963. The following year he joined the Staff of North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset, NY, eventually becoming Director of Orthopaedic Surgery until his retirement in the 1990s. As an Associate Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College and with close ties to HSS, he structured a highly respected orthopaedic residency rotation at North Shore for the HSS house staff. He was committed to and encouraged a high quality of collegiality of his attending staff and established an all-orthopaedic floor. He arranged to have Surgeon-in-Chief Dr. Phillip D. Wilson, Jr. hold orthopaedic rounds there every six weeks, fostering even a closer relationship with HSS. Dick was an exacting person, well respected by the professional world around him and very devoted to his wife Betty, two sons, Tom and John, sister Susan Match and four grandchildren. He read the New York Times daily from cover to cover, spent hours at the computer, loved golf and had a passion for new and old watches.
Russell Vergess, MD, earned his undergraduate degree from Columbia University and graduated from Cornell Medical School. He completed his orthopaedic residency at HSS and began his practice in Burbank in 1977. Dr. Vergess' area of expertise included joint arthroscopies, total joint replacements, sports medicine and trauma and he treated adults, adolescents, and children (with the exception of those with congenital birth defects). He served as a member of the Los Angeles County Medical Association, the California Medical Association, the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons and the California Orthopedic Association.
Frederick W. Waknitz, MD, passed away at the age of 99. He received his medical degree from the University of Kansas in 1933, and spent his early years practicing in New York City. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Medical Department in both the European and Pacific Theaters, retiring in 1946 as a Lieutenant Colonel. Dr. Waknitz settled in Seattle in 1950 and was the co-founder of Orthopedic Associates (now known as Orthopedic Physicians Associates). He also saw patients at Swedish Hospital on First Hill and West Seattle General Hospital, and he volunteered at Children's Hospital. He was a life-long member of the King County Medical Society and past Chief at West Seattle General Hospital. At home, Dr. Waknitz spent many hours in his shop making tables, chairs, cabinets and various other woodworking projects for his family and friends. He also enjoyed relaxing at the family summer cabin on Camano Island.