If you have an issue, question, or concern regarding your care, the Patient Experience Advocates are available to speak with you between the hours of 9am - 5pm, Monday through Friday, at 212.774.2403. On evenings, weekends, and holidays, contact the Nursing Coordinator at 212.606.1188.
Please contact a Patient Experience Advocate if you are in need of representation or you simply have questions concerning hospital regulations and routines.
In addition, you may report a complaint or grievance to:
1. Any HSS staff member or department manager, director, supervisor, or nurse in charge.
2. The Executive Office of Hospital for Special Surgery by phone at 212.606.1236 or by sending a letter to Hospital for Special Surgery, 535 East 70th Street, New York, NY 10021. If your complaint rises to the level of a grievance, you will be contacted within seven business days of receipt of the grievance. You will be informed about the resolution of the grievance, or informed that additional time is needed for the investigation. Except in unusual circumstances, you will be informed of the resolution of the grievance within 45 business days.
3. The New York State Department of Health by phone at 800.804.5447 or by sending a letter to the NYS Department of Health, Centralized Hospital Intake Program, Mailstop: CA/DCS, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237.
4. The Joint Commission by phone at 800.994.6610 or by sending a letter to the Office of Quality Monitoring, The Joint Commission, One Renaissance Boulevard, Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181, or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Medicare complaints: Livanta at BFCC-QIO Program, 9090 Junction Drive, Suite 10, Annapolis Junction, MD 20701 or phone number 866.815.5440.
Additional Information regarding complaint reporting can be found in your admission packet entitled “Your Rights as a Hospital Patient.”