Beltran heads to the DL

New York Post Mets Blog—June 22, 2009

New York Mets Carlos Beltran Carlos Beltran became the ninth key player to join the Metsí current disabled list.

GM Omar Minaya said an MRI exam today showed that the same bone bruise that forced Beltran to miss two games earlier this season had gotten worse with continued playing time.

The Mets are hoping Beltran can return in 15 days, but Minaya admitted he could be out until after the All-Star break in mid-July.

"The MRI showed the bruise is getting bigger in size," Minaya said.

Minaya said Beltran will rest his ailing knee while also undergoing the same treatment called platelet rich plasma therapy at Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan that Reyes is receiving on his torn hamstring tend.

The treatment involves removing some blood from Beltran's knee, spinning it in a machine designed to remove bad components, then injecting the "good blood" back into the damaged area.

Additionally, Minaya said Beltran would be fitted with an orthotic device to control unnecessary movement of the knee.

"The main thing is rest," Minaya said.

^ Back to Top
Request an Appointment