The Mission of Hospital for Special Surgery is to provide the highest quality patient care, improve mobility, and enhance the quality of life for all, while advancing the science of orthopedic surgery, rheumatology, and their related disciplines through research and education. We do this regardless of race, color, creed, sexual orientation, or ethnic origin.
The Vision of Hospital for Special Surgery is to lead the world as the most innovative source of medical care, the premier research institution, and the most trusted educator in the field of orthopedics, rheumatology, and their related disciplines.
- Excellence. HSS is an institution of excellence and shall meet and exceed the expectations of all those we serve. We set and adhere to the highest standards possible for all that we do.
- Integrity. HSS shall maintain the highest levels of personal and professional conduct. We shall always conduct ourselves in an ethical and honest manner.
- Compassion. HSS shall provide a friendly, caring environment where the patient comes first. We shall deliver compassionate care, treating patients and families with respect and dignity.
- Respect. We pledge respect for the diversity of traditions and cultures within our organization and the broader community we serve. We will maintain an environment that encourages fair treatment and equal opportunity.
- Teamwork. HSS will foster collaboration and cooperation among individuals and departments. We will work together as a team and treat each other with respect.
- Quality. Quality in all aspects of health care delivery is of the utmost importance. We will work together to continuously improve our standards of care and our clinical outcomes.
- Safety. HSS will strive to maintain safe clinical and physical environments for patients, staff, and physicians.
- Innovation. We value new ideas. HSS’s clinical, research, and educational efforts will be directed toward innovation in the identification, prevention, and treatment of orthopedic and rheumatic diseases and conditions.
- Education. We are committed to the professional growth and development of staff and to the education of patients and the community.
- Efficiency. HSS will strive to operate efficiently and cost-effectively while maintaining the highest standards of care. We will fulfill our mission only if we successfully manage our financial and other resources.