- Founded in 1863, HSS is America’s oldest orthopedic hospital and a tertiary care academic medical center.
- The Hospital is nationally ranked #1 in Orthopedics, #3 in Rheumatology, and #10 in Neurology in U.S.News & World Report “America’s Best Hospitals” 2012-13 issue. It has been among the top ranked institutions in Orthopedics and Rheumatology for 22 consecutive years.
- HSS the first hospital in New York State to receive Magnet Recognition for Excellence in Nursing Service from the American Nurses Credentialing Center three consecutive times.
- HSS physicians are official team doctors for the New York
Giants, New York Mets, New York Knicks, New York Liberty, and New York Red Bulls. HSS is also the Official Hospital of The PGA of America and New York Road Runners for the ING New York City Marathon. Our specialists also served as medical staff for the United States at the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London.
- The National Institutes of Health (NIH) currently supports HSS with $48.1 million in funding for 48 research studies.
- HSS has achieved the 99th percentile rank for “likelihood to recommend” for 16 consecutive quarters when benchmarked against the high-performing Magnet peer group.
- In 2011, HSS Spine & Sport opened in Jupiter, Florida,
providing outpatient rehabilitation for South Florida residents.
This marks the Hospital’s first office location outside of the
New York region.
- The HSS International Center served approximately 750 patients from nearly 80 countries in 2011.
By the Numbers
|Number of beds
|Active medical staff
|Number of scientists
|Number of postgraduate positions (2012)
||77 fellows, |
|Number of full time equivalent employees (2013)
|Number of operating rooms
|Number of surgeries (2012)
|Number of outpatient visits to rheumatologists, physiatrists, orthopedic surgeons, and other specialties (2011)
|Hospital operating expense budget, excluding Research (2012)
|Research operations expense budget (2012)
||Includes physicians and their staff|
||Includes those under construction|