The Early Arthritis Initiative is dedicated to providing the right care, right away.
Patients are evaluated by a rheumatologist in a timely manner (no more waiting for months) and started on a personalized course of treatment. Whenever possible, the Initiative attempts to connect each patient with an HSS physician who participates in his/her health insurance plan. The services we provide include the following:
- Evaluation to diagnose the cause of joint pain, including necessary laboratory and imaging tests.
- Treatment recommendations, determined by what physicians consider to be the optimum approach based on the most up-to-date understanding of the patientís condition
- Referral to other healthcare providers as needed, such as dieticians, physical therapists, orthopedic surgeons, social workers, and massage therapists.
- The option to learn about research studies in which patients can participate
- Regularly scheduled community lectures and support and education programs for people with RA, which offer unique opportunities for learning about this illness, both from medical professionals and from peers with the same diagnosis. These programs were developed to provide a welcoming forum where people with RA can share concerns and also have access to:
- Reliable, easy-to-understand illness-related information from healthcare providers
- Coping strategies and emotional support from peers who understand