The Case Management staff will strive through careful planning and coordination to ensure the highest quality patient services utilizing appropriate resources to maximize patient recovery and foster a sense of well being
Our department has dedicated professionals in the following service areas to address the needs of our adult and pediatric patients:
- Preadmission evaluation - Case Managers are available to discuss discharge options with you and your family prior to your admission to the hospital.
- Supportive counseling related to your upcoming surgery - Case Managers are available to discuss with you any worries or concerns you may have related to your planned surgery at HSS.
- Utilization management / review - The Case Managers communicate with the insurance company to obtain approval for your hospital stay and post-discharge services.
- Durable medical equipment - The Case Management team works with you, your physician, and your physical therapist to identify what equipment you will need. They assist in ordering the medical equipment that will help you while recovering from surgery or to meet your long-term needs.
- Discharge planning, including community resource availability - Case Managers are discharge planners who are Registered Nurses and Licensed Social Workers work closely with your surgeon, medical team, and you to coordinate your discharge needs, from pre-admission to post-discharge. The Case Manager schedules time with patients and their families to discuss arranging home care services or inpatient rehabilitation options. Case Managers provide advice on required medical equipment, consult with insurance companies, and arrange transportation to your destination from the hospital. Case Managers are available Monday through Friday from 9:00am – 5:00pm, and on Saturday and Sunday from 8:00am – 4:00pm.
- Transportation - The Case Management team will arrange transportation upon discharge from the hospital to either a facility or to your home. They coordinate with your insurance company to determine availability of transportation benefits.
- Child Life program - The Child Life program offers a wide range of activities and events for children who receive treatment at HSS (inpatient care or outpatient visits), as well as their families. The goal of the Child Life Program is to enhance a more child/family-friendly experience in a medical environment. Child Life staff may work with an individual child, family, or in a large group setting. Activities are age and ability appropriate
C – Coordinate comprehensive care planning
A – Assess need for services
S – Secure, safe, and appropriate discharge
E – Enhance patient/family understanding of total care plan
M – Maximize optimal use of services and resources
A – Advocate on behalf of our patients and families
N – Navigate systems (hospital, community) on behalf of patient/family
A – Address age-specific and psychosocial needs
G – Gather necessary information for quality improvement
E – Evaluate insurance benefits related to needs
M – Monitor for regulatory compliance
E – Educate patient/family regarding impact of illness
N – Network with healthcare team
T – Transcend obstacles to treatment plan adherence
We give our best to those we serve, always showing compassion and respect. We are committed to fulfilling our roles with integrity and responsible use of resources.
The goals of the department are to ensure the highest quality patient services through individualized planning and collaboration with the entire healthcare team.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Case Management Department at 212.606.1271 between the hours of 9am and 5pm, Monday through Friday.